Farewell Thomas Camp

This past weekend was so bittersweet. I knew this day was coming, for a while, and then it was official - we were selling our family camp. Built by my grandfather and great-grandfather, it was the place I called home nearly every summer - all summer- of my childhood. It was the place my father enjoyed most. Where he would race us into the lake every Memorial Day Weekend for the first swim of the year, take us for walks into the woods and bike rides around the lake, play his guitar on the front porch chair for hours, and share his own childhood stories. When he passed, nearly 7 years ago now, I felt that I would always be near him when I came here. Saying goodbye to this camp feels like saying goodbye to him all over again. This is also the place where I met my husband, 23 years ago! He lived across the lake, and a summer fling turned into something more. We celebrate 13 years of marriage this month! I wanted to take some time to say goodbye, and also take some pictures to help me remember the magic of this place. Though I know there are some things no picture could ever capture, like the smell as you enter and the sound of the waves hitting the rocks. I spent the last evening here with my daughters, my mom and her fiancé. Sharing this time with my mom was priceless! Us watching the girls laugh and play together felt at times like this could have been me and my sister years ago laughing and playing. Watching these sisters in the evening sun filled my heart with joy. My sister is in nearly every memory I have there growing up, and this place would not have been the same without her. I would not have been the same without her. On my very last day here, I was blessed to get to walk through the camp one more time with my father's siblings. I am grateful for my time with them, and always feel closer to my dad every time I see them. My hope is to always remember this place. And while I will not be able to replicate this experience for my children, I hope that one day they will have something just as magical from their own childhood to keep in their hearts.




















Comments

Popular Posts